Competent Crew (Level 2)
This course provides the skills required to be a safe and competent crew member aboard a keeler.
Topics covered in this course include:
- Performing safety checks and preparation of sails
- Use of VHF radio in an emergency
- An understanding of a marine engine, carrying out pre start motor checks and how to start and manoeuvre
- Berthing and man overboard exercises
- Hoisting and setting the jib/main, tacking/gybing and sail trimming skills in all crew positions.
- Helming a boat under instruction
- Introduction for planning a trip and use basic navigation skills
- A range of anchoring techniques
- Good boat keeping
- ‘Rules of the Road’ on the water
Previous experience not essential but Gulfwind recommend people new to yachting take the Introduction to Sailing course beforehand.
This course can be taken over two or three days (2 or 3 x sessions of 5 hrs each) depending on previous experience.
Upon completion you will receive the YNZ Level 2 Crew Keelboat Certificate.