Learn to Sail
Introduction to keelboat sailing (Level 1)
This course is an introduction to Keelboat Sailing. The topics covered include:
- Parts of the boat and sailing definitions
- Hoisting and lowering of sails including introduction of sail trim and wind awareness
- Steering a yacht and safety onboard
- Weather forecasts and clothing suitable for different conditions
- Learning a variety of knots and their uses
- Performing roles associated with tacking, gybing and sailing a yacht
- A knowledge of the ‘Give Way’ rules
This two day course (2 x sessions of 5hrs) is ideal for those who are new to yachting and for those who would like to have a better understanding of how a yacht uses the wind to sail.
You will experience sailing a yacht, sail handling along with sail setting, rope work and be aware of safety on board.
Upon completion you will receive the YNZ Level 1 Introduction to Sailing Keelboat Certificate.